silviav8forums.com Forum Index

RSM's 570SX SIKKY S13 Build & Restore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Build Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsm777

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy Yeah it still has a lot of cosmetic work to be done (paint especially), but coilovers will be in by friday I am hoping and this weekend I should be able to disengage 4wd mode Wink (3-4" wheel gap is unappealing on any car lol)... its funny how a v8 can have the car sitting higher in the front than the 4cyl once you take all the a/c and p/s, battery in the trunk and all that extra nonsense out from up front.

RhdRicheeee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome man cant wait for pics

I ordered my motor from Charlie today, I recognized the name in your first post and went to check my receipt to make sure it was him.

rsm777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhdRicheeee wrote:
Awesome man cant wait for pics

I ordered my motor from Charlie today, I recognized the name in your first post and went to check my receipt to make sure it was him.

Great! Anything you need OEM wise he has too, (oxygen sensors, AIT sensors, MAFs, etc). He got me out of a lot of binds and it looks like the engine I got from him really only had 45-49k miles as suggested and is very strong/healthy. May even dyno this weekend and check out all the WOT and similar.

rsm777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lol, the kid I bought the car from didn't have the lug key, nor did anyone in the entire N Alabama area. After 6 hours of riding around I gave up and did not get the coilovers on. Needless to say I have a new set of lugs coming in tomorrow and one way or another they're coming off lol... Once the car is lowered and similar I will get the last photos up. I hate how its in "truck mode" right now with over 4" of wheel gap in the front and 3.5"+ in the rear.

jhankinson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not even notice you bought the motor from Spacecoast until just now haha. I bought from them for my S10 project when I put an LS1 in in a few years back, and his stuff was good deals. I actually drove up to their shop and picked it up since I am semi local.

On the riding 4x4 style, mine was the same way until a few weeks ago I finally adjusted the coilovers down. It looked wicked ghey jacked up. But oh so much more better now that its about 3" lower. Hope you have good luck getting those lugs off without the key though. I lost one once and it was a BITCH to get the lug off.

rsm777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhankinson wrote:
I did not even notice you bought the motor from Spacecoast until just now haha. I bought from them for my S10 project when I put an LS1 in in a few years back, and his stuff was good deals. I actually drove up to their shop and picked it up since I am semi local.

On the riding 4x4 style, mine was the same way until a few weeks ago I finally adjusted the coilovers down. It looked wicked ghey jacked up. But oh so much more better now that its about 3" lower. Hope you have good luck getting those lugs off without the key though. I lost one once and it was a BITCH to get the lug off.

Yeah hes a super cool dude. I wish I wouldn't have skimped on a few things (rear main and new slave), but waiting has gotten me a free clutch and similar, so its not all bad. Just dread taking the transmission back out Sad

That's what I am afraid of. We found a key that fit SOME of the lugs, but it looked like someone used a key that was too big on these dang lugs and rounded off the "meat" you grab onto (they're the acorn/spline style)... so now I am stuck with either using a turbo socket that's used for pulling bad/stripped/rounded bolts (if it'll fit) or welding nuts or similar to the ones we can't get out and get them out that way. New lugs come in tomorrow, so one way or another they are coming off Very Happy I don't care to make the car inches from the ground, it just floats like a boat on the stock suspension and is very scary under power/load at high speeds (60mph+) lol.

I want to just do a 5 lug conversion and similar and put my RPF1s on the dang car, but I am also wanting to use a Q45 so I don't know if I have to swap hubs and similar anyways... we'll find out I guess lol.

jhankinson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it is the older Q45 diff, then you will have to swap to 300zx TT rear hubs anyways. So you might as well wait until you switch to that. No sense in doing 5 lug swap just to ditch them for 300zxTT hubs anyways. I made that mistake and now am wanting a Q45 rear diff as well. So I might have thrown away a couple hundred dollars haha.

rsm777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it seems like this is going to be a much bigger ordeal than planned as you have to use the 300ZX ebrake cable and similar and obviously swap over to 5 lug wheels, 300zx brakes and similar. I really want the longer gear ratio, but I may just go with the j30 instead :\. I dunno though. It seems like this will become a $1000+ ordeal once you add up all the parts, freight and all the extra crap you have to buy once those parts are on... Q45 diff, Q45/300zx hubs, change the coilover mount, Q45/300zX axles (one different for each side), 300zx/q4 brakes, ebrake cable, 5 lug wheels, tires for those wheels, probably new rotors/pads/etc... Sad The J30 (95-96) looks like a PNP affair with a measly 4% gear reduction :/ hmmm.

jhankinson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just go get the later Q45 rear at least it goes down to a 3.69 i do believe. Its no 3.54 like the older Q difs. But def better then the 4.08 S13

rsm777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhankinson wrote:
Or just go get the later Q45 rear at least it goes down to a 3.69 i do believe. Its no 3.54 like the older Q difs. But def better then the 4.08 S13

That'd be fine with me, what is involved on using the newer Q45 (97+ right?) vs the old? Is it actually easier to install or require less parts? I'd like to keep the stock hubs and similar as it seems I have a bad wheel bearing or two (On the front wheels it is starting to move forward/out when in the air when you hit/push on the top of the wheel, not much, but it is worse than when I originally picked it up as I checked that first thing) so I am probably going to fork over the money to get the 5 lug swap done now as I don't want to waste money on new wheel bearings just to buy new hubs later anyways (the 5 lug swaps that come with the hub/bearing/etc already pressed in, uses s14 SE brakes and stock caliper/pads). Courtesy parts and similar want $120+ each for OEM bearings as they come pressed into the hub already. Otherwise its rockauto or oreilly or so and around $50-60/each and I'd have to press the old out and new in. We'll see. I was going to do the 5 lug anyways (got a set of RPF1s I want to throw on the car), so I am just curious. The car sat for 9-12 months or so, so I kinda knew this kind of stuff was going to start to pop up, but if the new Q45 somehow can use the stock hubs, that'd be awesome.

kirk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the Q45 housing and axles and stuff? Why not just swap the ring and pinion? I thought they were R200 diffs?

jhankinson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer Q45 dif will use the stock hubs and bearings. You just need to use J30 axles (wich are the spread 6 bolt flange type at the dif. So they will utilize the 5lug swap hubs you will be buying anyways.

Thats the same reason i went with the 5lug swap as I was going to source overt time a good late Q45 diff so I have 2 different difs. One welded with the 4.08 and then the Q45 3.69 with the vlsd for just cruising on.

rsm777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhankinson wrote:
The newer Q45 dif will use the stock hubs and bearings. You just need to use J30 axles (wich are the spread 6 bolt flange type at the dif. So they will utilize the 5lug swap hubs you will be buying anyways.

Thats the same reason i went with the 5lug swap as I was going to source overt time a good late Q45 diff so I have 2 different difs. One welded with the 4.08 and then the Q45 3.69 with the vlsd for just cruising on.

Thats really good to know.. thank you! If a newer diff will retain the stock hubs just by using different axles, then that is definitely the way to go.

Took a bunch of pictures last night... but didn't get the car home after doing the coilover install as the front wheels hit (18 x 7.5 +45). Anyone else have issues with using the godspeed or similar type coilovers? I have different/new wheels coming, but I was just curious. As easy as the rear popped in, the front was an absolute bear. Then after all the work to get the brackets and similar to fit and go on the wheels hit the coilover lol.

jhankinson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no issues with the Godspeed coilovers. As my car is not intended as a dialy driver i did not care for brutal strength. They took me all of maybe 5 minutes to put on.

REVOisGO
Lv1 Member
Lv1 Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsm777 wrote:
Took a bunch of pictures last night... but didn't get the car home after doing the coilover install as the front wheels hit (18 x 7.5 +45). Anyone else have issues with using the godspeed or similar type coilovers? I have different/new wheels coming, but I was just curious. As easy as the rear popped in, the front was an absolute bear. Then after all the work to get the brackets and similar to fit and go on the wheels hit the coilover lol.

its because whatever wheels you are running have a really high offset. +45 is more of a fwd offset. if you really want to run those wheels u are gonna need a spacer.

check out our website------> www.getmoneydrift.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    silviav8forums.com Forum Index » Build Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: